Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I'm 6' 0" and I'm Shorter Than Everyone Else


You'll find out after reading just a few of my posts, that I've got issues. Yes, issues.

Here's an interesting one...


I'm 6' 0". That's taller than the average person in North America. But if you were to ask me how tall just about anyone is, I'd say that they're taller than me. Why? Because when I feel inferior to someone, I remember them as being taller than me. Is that crazy?!

Ok, it's not everyone. I think my wife is superior to me as a person, but I know she's shorter than me because I see her stand next to me everyday. That's different though. This, people, is called an inferiority complex. An inferiority complex has been defined as "a feeling of intense insecurity, inferiority or of not measuring up". Not measuring up? Why does this sound familiar? Oh I know! Because I don't feel as tall as other people. Ah-ha! Now I know what's wrong with me. Now all I need is some kind of medication or something right? 

I'm bringing this up because it seemed like something interesting to write about. I should have called this blog "Journey inside our minds" since all we really talk about is whatever is on our mind or bothering us for that particular day.

I've always been perplexed by the complex inter workings of our minds. How small things that happen to us when we're young, things that we don't even remember, can literally change our outlook on life, our behavior, our relationships, FOREVER.
This. Really. Scares. Me. Does it scare you? It should.

When I was younger, I believed that I was in control of things. Most teenagers believe this I hear. They believe that they can make a difference, they believe that they understand the world, themselves, others, etc., but later on they realize that they don't. When I was a teenager I decided that I would learn how to do a backflip. I did. I learned a lot of gymnastic-type maneuvers. I told myself I would learn because I believed that I should be able to tell my body what it should do, and it should listen. Well let me tell you, it didn't. At least, not right away. It took me hundreds of tries.

The thing that's crazy about this is that my brain knew exactly how to do a backflip. I knew the technique in striking detail. I knew what my arms and legs and head and even my eyes should be doing and I knew how to time the movements of those parts of my body precisely. In my head. Did that mean that my body could do it? It should have (considering I was in good shape and that my muscles and gravity would allow my body to do a backflip in this physical universe). But I couldn't. Why?! Because we aren't in control. We're not even in control of our own bodies. We're not even in control of our own thoughts! Who is?
Scroll down for answer...














I have no clue.


Written by individual contributor
Lane Fries (a.k.a. Dr. Freeze)


Share via Email, Blogger, Twitter, or Facebook by clicking those cool buttons below! Don't forget to +1 us also!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog